In 1929 a camp was set up for local Sinti and Roma on the outskirts of Frankfurt. The council tried to force the Sinti and Roma families to leave their homes in the city. Many families who were dependent on local authority support had no choice but to move to the camp, where conditions were unhygienic. The camp was closed in 1935. Starting in 1937, Roma and Sinti from Frankfurt and the rest of Hessen were sent to a camp in Dieselstrasse, where Robert Ritter's Research Institute for Racial Hygiene and Population Biology started to carry out test on the inmates in 1938. Many of them were subsequently deported to the death camps.