H4 DÜSSELDORF (D)
In 1937 the authorities forced Düsseldorf’s Sinti and Roma to move to the municipal “Gypsy” camp at Höherweg. There they lived in primitive brick buildings with barred windows and steel doors, which were locked from the outside. The camp was surrounded by a barbed-wire fence, and the inmates were only allowed to leave it to do forced labour. Nine people died in the camp. In 1943 the remaining prisoners were deported to Auschwitz-Birkenau.